Sunday, January 31, 2016

#65 - Frost's Road

8" x 10" Oil on canvas panel, plein air

It was 40F yesterday in northern Illinois and I was so happy to be outside painting again. I drove into the countryside and encountered this vista and a line from Robert Frost's 'The Road Not Taken' popped into my head (Thank you, Mrs. Ellen Eberly, Westwood High School). "Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear..."

The late afternoon sky was fighting to clear and let some sun in but it never succeeded, so the colors remained somewhat muted.  It would be a great place to set up in the spring and perhaps paint it again on a 8" x 16" canvas to capture a bit more of the horizon..."Yet knowing how way leads to way, I doubted if I should ever come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment